Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
TRON LE code on a TRON
04-10-2012, 08:35 PM
TRON LE code on a TRON
Does anyone know what Stern did to not allow TRON LE code to run on a Pro?
Has anyone had luck adding things to STERN ROMS?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2012, 08:54 PM
RE: TRON LE code on a TRON
The hardware is different between the LE and LE Pro - there is a thread about it in rec.games.pinball, and most likely there could also be a PAL chip difference that it checks on boot.
I've managed to switch out some music from one machine to another but it's not fun to work on.
04-14-2012, 09:22 PM
(04-13-2012 08:54 PM)destruk Wrote:  The hardware is different between the LE and LE Pro - there is a thread about it in rec.games.pinball, and most likely there could also be a PAL chip difference that it checks on boot.
I've managed to switch out some music from one machine to another but it's not fun to work on.
I was wondering if there a PAL chip like LOTR. I know there are drop targets and a couple other small things. But it would be great to put LE ramps on the Pro.
04-18-2012, 06:46 AM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2012 06:49 AM by bluemalibu.)
(04-10-2012 08:35 PM)PinHack Wrote:  Does anyone know what Stern did to not allow TRON LE code to run on a Pro?

Well I think I know why as they wanted to sell all the LEs. Which is now in the past. I early on tried running LE code on my PRO which of course did not work.

The major difference that could cause an issue seems to be the drop targets on LE vs standups on PRO. Then again this may not be a problem as the drop target reset just wouldn't actually do anything on PRO.

The recognizer moving would also be ignored I suppose.

I have heard there are differences in the transformers due to LED lamps being used?

Anyway, would love to see LE code running on a PRO.

When you boot with the wrong code the DMD displays "THIS GAME HAS A HARDWARE/SOFTWARE MISMATCH PLEASE CONTACT STERN PINBALL"

So maybe someone can look at the image and figure out what the check is that branches to display this text?

Parker

(04-13-2012 08:54 PM)destruk Wrote:  The hardware is different between the LE and LE Pro - there is a thread about it in rec.games.pinball, and most likely there could also be a PAL chip difference that it checks on boot.

Were you able to bypass the chksum when switching music? PRO V1.7 has a chksum (previous versions didn't).

Parker
04-18-2012, 09:38 AM
I haven't tried changing any music on game code with the extra checksum. - it is a real pain to figure out the start and end points of any sound sample in the machine.
04-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Well, this was on pinside today Sad

HasselCastle Said:
Board numbers on the SAM boards may very much be the same besides a small tag. But after speaking with Lyman on the subject he has told me the switch, lamp, and solenoid tables and pinouts are different in the firmware between the LE and Pro, to help protect the LE code against a hack.

(04-10-2012 08:35 PM)PinHack Wrote:  Does anyone know what Stern did to not allow TRON LE code to run on a Pro?
04-21-2012, 05:07 AM
If you know what the differences are, and are fine with rewiring the machine, I don't see how that extra step could be an increased deterrent. I mean if you're taking the time to bypass the checksum and/or hardware checks to load LE code on a Pro machine already, what is another few minutes to change lamp locations on the wired playfield?