Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Why, why, whyyy? On this forum...
03-17-2013, 07:42 PM
Why, why, whyyy? On this forum...
...There's not even a single mention to the Powerful, Free, well Documented, Open Source WPC Pinball developing platform?
FreeWPC, guys! It's been there for many years, waiting to be exploited to its full potential!
Modifying rules of the original games directly in the original ROM's assembly code would be a very difficult task, why not compiling our own ROM, programming in C, using FreeWPC?
I'd say that using it is also Hacking a Pinball machine so it would perfectly fit for this forum.
Has someone tried the TZ ROM with the whole new ruleset on his real machine? I did, and it's playable, but it has bugs and needs lots of work and improvements, and there's been some development for other games as well, like Corvette... And recently Demolition Man:

Which even has some 'new' Video Mode:

Worth mentioning that at least on my TZ, it did not fry any coils or flashers.
So... maybe the amazingly skilled programmers in this forum, like mrglee, Tilt, RalphButler could join forces and help Brian (FreeWPC's author) to improve the system?

FreeWPC: http://code.google.com/p/freewpc/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2013, 04:05 AM
RE: Why, why, whyyy? On this forum...
I check it rapidly. But I think you need to redo all the programming of the rom from scratch. Am I right?
03-21-2013, 07:30 AM
(03-21-2013 04:05 AM)Francis Wrote:  I check it rapidly. But I think you need to redo all the programming of the rom from scratch. Am I right?

Nope, not all. The main logic is already coded and is the core of FreeWPC so you need to code the rules (in C/6809 Asm), add some graphics or animations, make a few calls to the sound board in between and that's it! Smile
Obviously it is not as easy as it sounds, this is the Manual: http://freewpc.googlecode.com/svn/doc/fr...index.html
This really needs to see the light. Custom games are the way!
And if someone manages to interface a $35 Raspberry Pi as a WPC sound board for having custom sounds and music, then it would change life of pinball forever.
Imagine playing TZ with this background music:

...Main tune would play from 3:55 to 5:25
Simply Orgasmic! Smile
03-28-2013, 11:50 AM
This forum is about hacking the original roms.
I've been looking for a Free WPC forum for some time now, but haven't found any.
Maybe I'm looking in the wroung place.

Peter
03-28-2013, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2013 03:42 PM by Marton.)
Hi Peter, nice to see you!
I thought this forum was about Pinball Hacking in general, but oh well... Anyway... Smile

Here is the Official FreeWPC forum:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgro...um/FreeWPC
04-01-2013, 09:56 AM
(03-28-2013 12:39 PM)Marton Wrote:  Hi Peter, nice to see you!
I thought this forum was about Pinball Hacking in general, but oh well... Anyway... Smile

Here is the Official FreeWPC forum:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgro...um/FreeWPC

It is, and the (probable) reason there isn't anything on freeWPC here is that there is an official forum available. If freeWPC was just a website without a forum, there'd probably be more discussion of (and traffic) here.
04-01-2013, 10:12 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2013 10:15 AM by Marton.)
(04-01-2013 09:56 AM)RalphButler Wrote:  It is, and the (probable) reason there isn't anything on freeWPC here is that there is an official forum available. If freeWPC was just a website without a forum, there'd probably be more discussion of (and traffic) here.

Sure, Ralph! I just found it strange that there was not even a single mention of it on this forum, considering it is somewhat related to 'hacking' a pinball machine.
OK, maybe it is not actually 'hacking' but I think it is worth a mention so fellow members know that it is there, waiting for use and improvement.
04-02-2013, 09:31 AM
If I have more time, (and / or a WPC machine) I would certainly work with that.
The first thing I would like to do will be to change the music of Terminator 2 pinball
and put the real music from the movie!
04-04-2013, 03:24 AM
Whoa!!! Sounds like a great project but maybe a bit complex? Because the whole sound board needs to be reprogrammed, and I think it won't allow too much samples on the EPROMs anyway...
I see the Raspberry Pi as a better replacement for it, as it has Linux, a direct audio output (which may be 'injected' to the original amplifier or to a better one for Stereo or 2.1), and the samples could be stored in flash drive or SD card... Direct MP3!!! Imagine a JUKEBOX OUT OF A PIN!!! YEAAHH choosing fav music at start of ball... Idea