Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Some nvram love?
06-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Some nvram love?
Hi there,

I'm writing a program that reads interesting stuff from the nvram file such as number of started games, played games, histogram data and so on. The idea is to integrate it beautifully into a web app that runs on a virtual pincab.

By trial and error I've managed to retrieve all I want from what seems to be WPC nvram files. However, there are obviously other types, Capcom for instance has a different structure.

I'm wondering if someone knows how to identify the type of the .nv file. Actually, any information at all would be helpful, such as how many types are out there and maybe even doc or source code that deals with nvram files, anything that makes reverse engineering those files easier.

Cheers,

-freezy.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2015, 06:04 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2015 06:05 PM by ViolatedBird.)
RE: Some nvram love?
(06-11-2013 01:32 PM)freezy Wrote:  Hi there,

I'm writing a program that reads interesting stuff from the nvram file such as number of started games, played games, histogram data and so on. The idea is to integrate it beautifully into a web app that runs on a virtual pincab.

By trial and error I've managed to retrieve all I want from what seems to be WPC nvram files. However, there are obviously other types, Capcom for instance has a different structure.

I'm wondering if someone knows how to identify the type of the .nv file. Actually, any information at all would be helpful, such as how many types are out there and maybe even doc or source code that deals with nvram files, anything that makes reverse engineering those files easier.

Cheers,

-freezy.

Could you update us on the status of this project? I have not performed any research, but would certainly be willing to contribute if I know the baseline.
01-27-2015, 03:39 AM
RE: Some nvram love?
Well, the idea was to pull out as much info as possible. For the high scores, I ended up using PINemHi. For the other data, I just run my routine over the ROMs and check if something useful comes out. You can see the code for that here. Some stuff such as the high score ranges for the histograms I had to hard-code, see here.

Let me know if you find out more!