Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Arcade Cabinet
06-22-2011, 10:19 AM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2011 10:20 AM by Tilt.)
Arcade Cabinet
Here's a quick video of a MAME capture I did playing on the uLCD-144
screen mentioned by Eli. He's working on some even cooler stuff too.
Now got to get it mounted in a cabinet -- who has one to spare? Smile

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2011, 12:08 PM
RE: Arcade Cabinet
(06-22-2011 10:19 AM)Tilt Wrote:  Here's a quick video of a MAME capture I did playing on the uLCD-144

If you didn't see my post on RGP, try contacting Terry at Pinball Life. He can normally get parts from Stern that others can't, or so I've been told.
06-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks for setting this up.

I was able to get one of the Target toys today and I honestly don't think it looks any better than the pictures I've seen of the Stern one. It does have the molded coin door, and the control panel with blue joystick, but the proportions are off and the side art is wrong.

I've attached a really nice papercraft version of the cabinet if anyone is looking for high resolution art for their existing Stern version, or wants to add the missing art to the Target one. Actually I can't get the large attachment to go so it's up at PaperTRON for now.

I think it would be cool to make a laser cut version like the Stern one but with the control panel and screen surround (or maybe just a mod to add them). Ponoko offers black delrin (hard to glue) and acrylic, and it's a pretty simple design. Maybe the group can come up with an ultra premium replacement that wouldn't actually cost much more than the Target one goes for on eBay.
06-22-2011, 12:56 PM
(06-22-2011 10:19 AM)Tilt Wrote:  Here's a quick video of a MAME capture I did playing on the uLCD-144

I have the original Tron arcade cabinet that came out of the game.. I modded in the Target toy into mine.. There is no way you are getting an LCD screen in the Target exclusive toy.. I would be willing to send out my Original Tron arcade cabinet for someone to tinker with, if you hook me up with the finished mod when it's done.. I'll pay for the screen or whatnot.. Just I would like my old tron cabinet back.. Let me know if we can work something out.. Thanks.
06-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Ya I was going to volunteer my arcade toy as well when my LE came in. I just don't have it yet.

Rome,
There is a smaller .96" OLED screen that may work in the Target toy, but it may be too small to see.
06-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Anything smaller than the screen in the original toy in the game is just too small. I wouldn't even try to mod the target toy with an LCD.. It's going to be alot tougher project to do than people think.. I know, i've torn into one already.. The plastic is very thick, and is not going to be easy for people to figure out how to open the screen area.. I'm sure people will figure something out, as I did.. By the way, the light inside the original toy is not a flasher.. it's just a normal 555 light..

(06-22-2011 01:06 PM)jackal2001 Wrote:  Ya I was going to volunteer my arcade toy as well when my LE came in. I just don't have it yet.

Rome,
There is a smaller .96" OLED screen that may work in the Target toy, but it may be too small to see.
06-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Ya Rome, I think modding the Target toy as you did would be the way to go. Using a LCD screen would have to be done with the Stern toy or a custom made toy, which I hear some are already working on.
It would be nice if someone can produce these like BackAlley but honestly I think spending anything over $50 on a complete toy is not worth it IMHO.
06-22-2011, 10:46 PM
My Target cabinet arrived today and I agree, it's pretty small. I'm not going to say there's NO way of fitting the LCD in there, but it's hard to imagine it looking very good. I'm going to do some surgery with the Dremel this weekend and see what happens, but I'm more curious than ever about seeing the official Stern one. Seems like that will provide a better fit, even if it is lacking some finer details.
06-23-2011, 03:12 PM
For what it's worth, I contacted Terry @ Pinball Life and was told Stern will not sell parts until their first run is completed, so we'll have to wait a few months before we can even discuss ordering spare "cabinets."
06-26-2011, 06:38 AM
Any updates?