Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Arcade Cabinet
06-26-2011, 07:11 AM
RE: Arcade Cabinet
(06-26-2011 06:38 AM)jackal2001 Wrote:  Any updates?

On my end I've had a cold and have spent most of my free time asleep. I did do some optimizing yesterday and still think it is possible to get the entire attract mode into the on chip flash memory. It's gonna be close though, and people may prefer the look of the gameplay capture even if I can squeeze it in.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-26-2011, 10:05 PM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2011 10:25 PM by Tilt.)
Funny, I had food poisoning for most of Friday and the weekend. All better now.

I did a test render of the gameplay footage at 64x96 (same as the smaller OLED screen) and was surprised by how "acceptable" the loss is. Part of the reason is there's a lot of lost horizontal resolution at 128x128 since the game's native aspect ratio is 3:4. The upside of using this OLED display is it likely fits the Target cabinet, and richer contrast (no backlight -- OLEDs are inherently luminescent). The downside is lower resolution, and it's $10 more expensive. Anyway, I've gone ahead and ordered one to test it out, and in the meantime here are some sample PNGs for comparison. Thoughts?

Also, Eli, your attract mode is the bees knees. I can't wait to see it finished.

06-26-2011, 10:57 PM
The images look good, but I don't think it will fit. The OLED screen is oriented so the connector is on the long side, which means there's 1/4 inch or so where the power connects that will have to go to the side of the screen as it would be installed. Hopefully I'm wrong because it would be really cool. I've got a few more screens in, still hovering right above 5k used (bootup is off until I get a chance to redo it with what I've learned about optimizing 4DGL) I'll send you the new code soon.
06-29-2011, 09:20 PM
The OLED display arrived today and it was a snap getting the animation playing on it. As I should have expected, it plays at a much higher frame rate though, so I get to redo the video from scratch with that in mind.

It's definitely small enough to fit, and I think we may have a contender here. Now let's see what kind of damage I do to the cabinet with a Dremel. Here's a quick vid I shot after getting the clip running.

I've never examined an OLED display. It's really cool how no backlight turns on when you plug it in, and the pixels themselves just illuminate.
06-30-2011, 03:03 AM
Awesome! Now lets see some Discs of Tron on that baby!

I'm curious to see what orientation you are going to try and put it into the cabinet. I think you can run it horizontal if you cut off the mounting tabs on the oled pcb.

Keep us up to date. Tron LEs are going to be shipping out next week.
06-30-2011, 07:41 AM
(06-29-2011 09:20 PM)Tilt Wrote:  It's definitely small enough to fit, and I think we may have a contender here. Now let's see what kind of damage I do to the cabinet with a Dremel. Here's a quick vid I shot after getting the clip running.

Cool!

I still don't think it will fit, but look forward to you proving me wrong. I split my cabinet at the seam, but the stickers don't like being removed. There is a lot of plastic in the molded area where the screen goes back into the cabinet. I can send a photo of the internals if you aren't planning on taking yours apart.
06-30-2011, 11:19 PM (This post was last modified: 06-30-2011 11:20 PM by Tilt.)
I got into the cabinet and you were right -- it's not going to fit well vertically. However, it fits quite well horizontally so, change of plans: Discs of Tron.

It looks pretty cool at 30fps. I should have it sealed up, running off a standard USB cable tomorrow night.
07-01-2011, 03:41 AM
Oh the horror of the dremmel. LOL.
Clean up the edges and then post the video of Discs of Tron. It is going to look amazing.

I would love to see a 0 magnification video from about 1-2' away as well to try to give some perspective of what it will look like from a players perspective.
07-01-2011, 06:59 PM
A little hot glue, some files, and it's in!

I've got inkjet sticker paper on order to make the cabinet a proper Discs of Tron.
07-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Tried original Tron at 96x64. It came out better than expected. I'm trying some SLR shots to see if it captures the screen quality/color any better.