Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Arcade Cabinet
08-07-2011, 09:26 AM
RE: Arcade Cabinet
(08-06-2011 11:06 PM)Tilt Wrote:  Eli, how goes the attract mode?

I've had a string of out of town guests for the last two weeks and the upcoming week, so not much progress, other than sending out a couple beta versions to testers to play with mounting.

I'd estimate the completion of the various bits as:
Text / Menu screens 98%
Cycle Game 100%
Tank Game 95%
MCP Game 90%
IO Tower Game 60%

Guess which one happened to be onscreen in Rick's video. Undecided
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2011, 03:29 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2011 05:57 PM by Tilt.)
Here's a quick update on where I am with the mod today... some nice progress, I think.

New cabinet decals!

UPDATE: Here is the cabinet art, based on the papercraft PDF linked earlier in this thread: http://www.pinhacks.com/downloads/sternT...netArt.png (300dpi PNG). The decal paper I used is here: Wausau Astrobrights Adhesive.

My solution to the internal flasher is a hole in the top. None of the model is translucent enough to let the light through, so it needs to be externalized. This may not be true to the real arcade cabinet, but it retains the usefulness of the bulb and might look kind of like a siren on top.

The screen fits in this configuration, and it even fits behind the original "glass." With its decal removed, the cabinet glass actually frames the screen with a trapezoid. Cool!

08-07-2011, 05:03 PM
the decals look awesome. what type of paper did you print them on? you have a link to it?
i'd love to get the images also.
08-07-2011, 05:32 PM
(08-07-2011 05:03 PM)jackal2001 Wrote:  the decals look awesome. what type of paper did you print them on? you have a link to it?
i'd love to get the images also.

Done. See update to the post above.

The paper I used is here:
http://www.amazon.com/Wausau-Astrobright...001EQ669S/
08-07-2011, 11:36 PM
It is done.

08-08-2011, 05:21 PM
(08-07-2011 11:36 PM)Tilt Wrote:  It is done.

Fantastic work! I didn't think the original Tron plastic Bezel that fit the old see-through 'screen' would fit into the cab with the lcd display! Genius! That bulb is subtle enough to work great, but can it bee seen clearly with the lights on?

--Rick.Smile
08-09-2011, 04:25 PM
(08-08-2011 05:21 PM)underlord Wrote:  Fantastic work! I didn't think the original Tron plastic Bezel that fit the old see-through 'screen' would fit into the cab with the lcd display! Genius! That bulb is subtle enough to work great, but can it bee seen clearly with the lights on?

--Rick.Smile

Thanks! Yeah, I figured something is needed in front of the LCD to protect against flying balls, so when I took the sticker off the "glass" it was a nice surprise to find a little framed window there. Then again, I'm not sure anything is going to protect that LCD from a direct hit. Those Stern solenoids are pretty strong.

The bulb is not bright enough for my taste. I've ordered some super brights in various hues from cointaker. We'll find one that works.
08-15-2011, 08:06 AM
You all are doing some cool work here - glad I found this forum (better late than never).

My LE showed up last week and hopefully my LCD & oLED displays should arrive this week. Eli - is your code at the link updated?

After looking at the existing arcade toy I'm wondering if we would have enough interest to warrant getting some pieces laser-cut and just making a new arcade toy to fit around the displays. I have one of the Target toys but it wouldn't really lend itself to mods any better than the Stern toy.

Is the resolution of the oLED display at viewing distance and through PF glass going to work or is the 1.4" LCD turning out to be the default?

By the way - Tron is an awesome game.
08-15-2011, 09:13 AM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2011 09:14 AM by Tilt.)
(08-15-2011 08:06 AM)BrianR Wrote:  After looking at the existing arcade toy I'm wondering if we would have enough interest to warrant getting some pieces laser-cut and just making a new arcade toy to fit around the displays. I have one of the Target toys but it wouldn't really lend itself to mods any better than the Stern toy.

Is the resolution of the oLED display at viewing distance and through PF glass going to work or is the 1.4" LCD turning out to be the default?

By the way - Tron is an awesome game.

Glad you have you on the board.

Eli has suggested looking at ponoko.com for manufacturing our own cabinets, or at least to prototype something. I'm very curious to try it, but I'm not sure what would be the best design. One thing that's great about the Stern model is there are two riveted brackets inside that hold the sides to the back, and those in turn hold the whole model together. They add glue, but it's really unnecessary. It's a nice design, but requires more parts than just the plastic. Do you have any design ideas? Think it's worth adding metal like Stern did?

As for the differences between the displays, I've pretty much abandoned the OLED/Target model since it's so much smaller and, more importantly, requires very delicate dremeling to clear out the inside and screen area of the toy. The Stern mod requires no drilling, is completely reversible, and allows for the larger 128x128 screen. There are downsides to the Stern mod (LCD vs. OLED, no joystick, cabinet availability) but the pros outweigh the cons.

By the way, I'm expecting a Stern mini arcade cabinet in the mail this week and will be documenting the mod process. I should have something online by the weekend.
08-21-2011, 03:43 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2011 04:06 PM by Tilt.)
Information How-To: Mini-cabinet LCD mod
I've posted a how-to as a new thread.

http://pinhacks.com/showthread.php?tid=65