Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
WW_H6 Coin-play hack
07-30-2011, 07:52 AM
WW_H6 Coin-play hack
This is a spin-off thread from the NoFreeOnly thread where we started talking about getting White Water H6 to work with coins.

I've spent a little time looking at WW_H6 and confirmed that, indeed, whereever the normal coin-op code should be, they have completely removed the code from the ROM. It is going to take some time to add coin-op functionality to WW_H6 but it is definatlely do-able as I've already identified all of the code addresses for the following items in both WW_H6 and the equilivant code in WW_L5.

There's a ton of work involved in converting WW_L5 code into WW_H6 and wedging it into the H6 ROM, so I'd like to get a feel for how desirable this sort of hack would be. Feel free to message me or post a reply on this thread if you would like to get this hack.

So far I've identified the following items, please let me know if you can think of anything else as it's possible I'm forgetting something:

1. Functions to read credits from ram and populate registers (for use in ASCII display). (shown in NoFreeOnly thread).

2. Function to read free-only, free-play, and credit counts to display appropriate message on the DMD. (shown in NoFreeOnly thread).

3. Coin switch functions to scan coin-drops, check pricing settings, and then accumulate credits in RAM.

4. Service-credit button function to add single credit to the credit counts in RAM.

5. Start-button function that calls function that checks whether there's enough credits (or free play or free only mode) so that a game may be started.

6. Start-button light blinky code to decide whether light should blink due to credits/free-play/free-only mode. This calls same function mentioned in previous item (start-button game start code), but mentioned here for completeness.

7. Update game version text for all 3 languages, maybe something like WW-H6C (c for coins).

8. Coin-op adjustments in the menu system. This appears to already be in place but mentioned here for completeness. If we ever add coin-op to CV home rom I believe this step will need attention.

9. Worth mentioning, need to have a 7-byte table entry reserved for credit accumulators, luckly this is already in place in WW_H6 but I'm mentioning this here as a CV hack may need to include this step also.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2011, 11:52 PM
RE: WW_H6 Coin-play hack
You're awesome to do so much work looking into this hack, let alone offer your time to complete it. Personally I don't see sufficient value though, if Lilian's main reason is to get the satisfaction of dropping tokens in his personal machine. That's cool and all, but there are probably better uses of your rare talents that would benefit a wider audience.

Like maybe making WPCEdit actually...you know... edit. Smile Just my opinion.
08-03-2011, 08:22 PM
I'm finding that this will help me get more work done on the IJ_L7 disassembly, so figuring out the coin-up code will have more than just one benefit, it will aid in my overall understanding on how the WPC code works so I'm thinking I'm going to take this route, even if it is somewhat of a selfish choice (my own understanding of WPC versus helping all by enhancing WPCEdit).

I started going through the IJ_L7 coin-up disassembly (which will be pretty much identical to WH20) I'm learning all sorts of things. For example they have this "1-coin buy-in" option which will only work when game pricing is set to 50 cents per game. The interesting thing is when it's configured this way, if you drop in a single coin during game play, and it's not on ball 1, it will accumulate a whole credit instead of a 1/2 credit, and you can do this for however many players are playing the current game, and you don't have to use the whole credits for buy-in. So this means if somebody find a machine that's 50cents per play, and it has the 1-coin buy-in option enabled, they can start a game for 50 cents and play every game after that for 25 cents as long as they insert the coin during game play after ball 1. I'm not sure if this is only on IJ_L7 or all WPC pins.
08-05-2011, 05:02 AM
I would urge you to think twice about making available a coin hack of the Whitewater home ROM. Clearly the developers didn't want that ROM to work with coins. Could a coin hack discourage the home ROM developers from making any future releases for any machines?
08-06-2011, 06:57 AM
That argument has been beaten to death, so I won't resurrect the debate here. Thanks for sharing your opinion!