Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to change Banzai Run sounds
08-19-2011, 10:52 PM
RE: How to change Banzai Run sounds
If you just start at the beginning of the ROM and single-step through the code, you could spend days or weeks (or even months) before you even get to the "main loop". There's probably a bunch of memory validation and initialization. For example it needs to loop through all of the ROMs and make sure their checksum is correct so you might see a bunch of loops as it goes through every ROM. Also it needs to make sure RAM is good so you might see loops while it's writing different values to the RAM and reading it back (in WPC it's 0x55 and 0xAA if I remember right).

Debugger is good for getting a disassembly of the ROM so you can trace through it (DASM command). Also good for setting break points and then single stepping to figure out what's going on. It takes a LOT of time and you should know a bit about assembly language.

I don't think the "The Shadow" method will work for pre-WPC. For example I just loaded up Bonzai Run and figured out that the coin-up sound effect number is 0x0110 (press F4, del, and put in 0110, space-bar). Then I went through the different ROM files and changed every 0x0110 into 0x004E, however even with every single 0x0110 changed, it still plays the coin-up sound effect when I press '5'. So they use some other method of storing information. It could be as simple as being 1 off (maybe I should try changing every 0x010F or 0x0111) or it could be complex, requiring an intimate knowledge of how they sort out sound effects. On WPC there is a single table of sound effect numbers which bundle all of the sound effect numbers together so it's easier to figure out. With time, somebody could figure out how the other systems such as that used by Bonazai Run work with regard to sound management.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-2011, 11:27 AM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2011 11:30 AM by Francis.)
Hum
Thanks for the update Mr glee,
after working on that for a couple of days, now and I could not even figure, where to put a breakpoint in pinmame debug, to see what happens when I press 5.

I'm now ready to Paypal 100$ to the person on this forum who provide me a working rom, for the pinball machine (not pinmame) with the target sound change.
Instruction: Change the sound made by my Banzai run Machine when you hit one of the target for the other racers (the 9 target (3 blue, 3 yelloe, 3 red) and the 3 green lane) I want to change the sound when you hit a target that is not already lit

The sound of the target seems to be the 004e ( but there is a couple of other similar sound that it could be) and I want to change it for something else like the 000d.
I didnt figure what it the sound for the green lane, but I want to change it for the 000d also.
the 000D sound is more like "I succeed" sound than the 004e wich sound like " I miss"
If a person succeed, I also want to have the process on how it does it posted on this forum, and some kind of a tutorial.
I know that its not a big amount of money, but It can be view as a trophee, and It will also increase the knowledge on System 11 roms.

good luck everybody

P.S.
for the sound, 000D for the lane, it could be another sound
but It must be like a " I succeed " sound!
08-24-2011, 03:27 AM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2011 03:31 AM by planeta9999.)
Is really a very hard task, mainly without experience in assembler language and pinmame source code.
There is another way, but with hardware, possible if sounds that you want replace or exchange are sound samples (not sinthesized).

Im working time ago for WPC-DCS, this is a sound card, that work with MP3 files stored in external SD card, so you may replace any sound with your own sounds, even totally new and different sounds. I will do also WPC95 and may be even WPC89 versions.

I have check schematics of Banzai, about sound card, and are very similar to WPC89, work with Sound Samples and Yamaha Sinthesizer Sounds. Link to input to check commands for Samples sounds is not very hard, with a Logic Analizer.

This is my pcb board for WPC-DCS, with MP3 files, now Im assembling and testing it:

[Image: wpcmp3.jpg]
08-24-2011, 03:47 AM
This could be an interesting option.
But for the moment, I prefer the method of changing the rom instead, since I just want to change one sound.
It could be interesting for other pins that turn me off because I dont like the sound at all (police force)
How much does it cost for a board like that?
I check on the website, written on the board, and I could not get inside the website!
08-24-2011, 05:52 AM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2011 06:02 AM by planeta9999.)
WPC-DCS MP3 board is under development yet, now testing, but only compatible WPC-DCS or WPC-95 (without display controller). For another systems if interest may be will try too, but now WPCDCS and WPC95 are my target.

Web site not available yet, only domain registered, and a big picture in main index ,like you see.

Im developing more products for pinball, videogames and some industrial applications.
As soon as some of products are ready (MP3 sound board, DMD-TFT, Bumper LED, TV-Mod, and several more), I will open web site with full information, features, pictures and videos. Hope may distribute it in main pinball webshop sites, if they interest, in Spain already several distributors are interested.

About System11, I have check it now in IPDB, and fortunately I have a Whirlwind pinball, so may be I test it, to do my MP3 board work with it, or develop a new Sound board Mp3 for System11. Sound samples, easy replace by Mp3 files stored in SD card. But sinthesized sounds are more complex, it work with a Yamaha sinthesizer chip, its like an electronic piano (FM sinthesizer), not easy manage that chip, many commands to configure and manage it.
08-25-2011, 05:03 AM
Hello Mr Planeta 9999,
I think the sound board will be great, for pins like police force. Or some Customized pins. For Banzai run the music is great its just a couple of sounds that didnt fit.
For the Yamaha sinthetizer chips, is there an emulator of that somewhere on the web.
Also, your sound card could be great for older pins sys 7 or 9. Especialy the ones from the period where williams where cutting on budget and didtn put any dialog on there pins. (laser Cue, Firepower 2 etc)
Bumper led will be great, since regular bulb always burn because there is too much vibration in the Bop bumper.
Please notify us when yor website is ready
08-25-2011, 06:33 AM (This post was last modified: 08-25-2011 08:12 AM by planeta9999.)
(08-25-2011 05:03 AM)Francis Wrote:  Hello Mr Planeta 9999,
I think the sound board will be great, for pins like police force. Or some Customized pins. For Banzai run the music is great its just a couple of sounds that didnt fit.

If all System11, I may do it, because of I may test it with my Whirlwind.

Quote:For the Yamaha sinthetizer chips, is there an emulator of that somewhere on the web.

Do you know where may get it ??, its very important to may simulate it in my boards. I found something to run in FPGA but code not available. Option is keep that chip and manage rest with FPGA (simulate 6809 and ROMS).

Quote:Also, your sound card could be great for older pins sys 7 or 9. Especialy the ones from the period where williams where cutting on budget and didtn put any dialog on there pins. (laser Cue, Firepower 2 etc)

I must check it, to see which sound system use. If Sound samples, its very easy replace by MP3 files. If some sinthesizer like Yamaha or old AY-3-8910, its not so easy, but may I do for simple chips like old AY-3-8910, even this chip is simuladed in FPGA and source code available.
09-07-2011, 11:33 AM
(08-24-2011 03:27 AM)planeta9999 Wrote:  Im working time ago for WPC-DCS, this is a sound card, that work with MP3 files stored in external SD card, so you may replace any sound with your own sounds, even totally new and different sounds. I will do also WPC95 and may be even WPC89 versions.

Really great project !

Keep us informed, two years ago, I had been thinking of designing such a card (for my Twilight Zone) to improve sounds for no-DCS pinball machines. But if you have done it, that's good !
09-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Twilight zone is WPC89.
WPC89 sound board, mix Yamaha synthesizer YM2151 and Sound samples stored in ROM.

Its nos easy simulate Yamaha synthesizer, but easy replace Sound Samples by MP3 files. For Sound Samples same circuit that for DCS, and for Yamaha synthesizer I will keep it like original circuit except the 6809 CPU that will replace by FPGA and SD card.

WPC95, will be next, after my DCS compatible, because of its same Sound Circuit and add in same board the Video controller.
WPC89, is not so easy, need more time.

Also I have buy a System 11 Sound board, to analyze it and develop my own sound board compatible, but seem very similar to WPC89, mix Yamaha Synthesizer with Sound samples. As soon as I solve how implement Yamaha synthesizer, will may do both boards, WPC89 and System11.

May check once in a while http://www.pinballsp.com web site, as soon as boards are ready to work, I will place all in that web site. Now Im testing DMDTFT and WPC-MP3 boards.
09-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Found some info that will probably get you started. The coin-up sound is done differently than the target sounds you're talking about but here's some detail for reference.

The coin-up sound, pinmame shows is 0x0110, but I found where this is played after the A register is loaded with 0x10 and then function $F60B is called. So, for example if we change the "lda #$10" to some other number we can change the coin-up sound. This is the 86 10 bytes at code address $AB43 (CPU #0) and ROM offset 0x2B43 in ROM U27. To see this you can set pinmame CPU #0 breakpoint at $F60B and see. This is function called with sound instruction in A register.

Using pinmame I found the lit target sound effect I'm getting is sound 0x0060. It is getting loaded from a table in ROM U26. I don't know the encoding of the table but the 0x60 is loaded up from a CPU #0 address of $5D72, stored in ROM offset $1D72 (U26). You can change the 0x60 to 0x0D and see what happens. Hitting the target again plays sound 0x0063 which appears to be at game address $5C3D, U26 ROM offset $1C3D. In pinmame you can set a breakpoint at CPU #0 address $D1FB and go from there. The A register has sound instruction. The $D1FB is called with 0x60 sound from game address $D26A. The $D1FB is called with 0x63 sound from game address $D1CC.

There's likely other metadata for the sound which includes how long to play the sound since I notice when you use pinmame F4 mode to play these sounds they will play forever unless another sound is played or play 0000 to end the sound. Other metadata might include a priority level or indicator if the sound can preempt other sounds in progress but that's just a guess.

I'm not familiar with how to fix the checksum on system 11 so that's something you'd need to figure out. You can start a game with pinmame after you manually trigger the ball trough switches. I usually hit 'Del' for manual switch matrix then press W+S, W+D, W+F to load the balls, then '1' to start a game, then I usually hit W+F to make the game think a ball left the ball trough. Then hit E+S or T+H or other combinations corresponding to the switches you're talking about (see BR game manual switch matrix). Then you can hit F4 to get an idea what sound number was played after each switch. Remember to use "Ignore" and "Observe" commands to get to the desired CPU in the debugger. Also note while tracing code the interrupt routine could kick in at any time with I bit set in the CC register, I usually just hit the F8 to get through the routine which isn't very long, after RTI isntruction you're back to where you were. Also it might help to use debugger and run something like "DASM BANZI.TXT 4000 FFFF" so you can look at the disassembly in a .txt file and look up the addresses and instructions I mentioned above. If you didn't know, you need to hit the '`' key (or '~' key) on your keyboard to bring up the debug window while game is running.