Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A little System 11 tutorial that I made
11-28-2011, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2011 12:12 PM by Francis.)
A little System 11 tutorial that I made
Hello everybody
I worked a lot since my last visit here.
I have almost complete my project with the banzai Run roms.
I will do another thread on the change I made for BR later this week.
And I want to do a little tutorial for the total beginner from what I learn from sys 11 pin.
So here it is in a .doc document.
Enjoy

See the attached file for the turorial

Attached File(s)
.doc  System 11 pinball hacking tutorial.doc (Size: 680 KB / Downloads: 2042)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2011, 12:16 PM
RE: A little System 11 tutorial that I made
Awesome document! Thanks for sharing.
11-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Great ! Thanks for this tutorial, very interesting !
12-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks for contributing Francis! This is a great starter document. I suspect the memory addresses will only be specific to the particular game and, sometimes, even for the particular version of s/w you're looking at for the game. I've found, for example, in WPC for the most part the memory usage is very similar between games but not identical, depending on how their source file was laid out when they hit the Compile button (or ran the compiler from a command prompt!).
12-07-2011, 03:04 PM
(11-28-2011 11:53 AM)Francis Wrote:  Hello everybody
I worked a lot since my last visit here.
I have almost complete my project with the banzai Run roms.
I will do another thread on the change I made for BR later this week.

Hi !

I'm very interested in your new rom of Banzaï Run. I would like to have a change on the amount of points given for the jump.

Actually, you have 25 000, 50 000, 75 000, and so on.

I would prefer 10 000, 20 000, 30 000, and so on, because it would give a better balance between the races and the jumps. And I think too, that it would avoid to turn the score at 10 000 000 points.

We could imagine too, that the number of laps wouldn't be limited to 30, if I remember well, but 45 (20 + 10 + 5 + 4 + 3 + 2 + 1).

There are surely other rules that need attention.

I don't know it they are an easy thing to change or not. The most interesting thing would be the points awarded for the jump, I think.

Anyway, you seem to have accomplished a great work !
12-07-2011, 07:26 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2011 07:29 PM by Francis.)
Hello Manu
the change I made so far for the BR are the following:

1. I added a memory to the laps, and target. In the original rom, when you hit 2 yellow target they stay for the next ball. Now with the rom I modified, the target and the laps are reset to 1 lap and 0 target lighted for the next ball.
But If you hit the target A -B -C on the upper playfield the memory is kept for the next ball. Those setting, are adjustable.

2. When you do a laps, instead of increasing the score, by 20 000 , It increase by 10 000 X number of laps ex: the lap four score 40 000 , lap five score 50 000 etc.

3. Being king of the hill give 3 millions instead of 1 millions (I have done this because the laps give too much points)

I would have like to change what is displayed in when you do your laps or getting the memory, but its too much complicated, so I give up.

As you said, banzai run is a great pin, but the rules are so so.

for the laps, there is a setting for the finish line. I think this is the one you need to change.

for the points, I think its gonna be pretty easy to find.
I will check my notes tomorrow and give you an answer for that. Can you tell me wich jump you are talking about.
there is a difficulty with the upper playfield of BR because I cannot calibrate the lifter with pinmame debug, there fore the hill is always close when I try to simulate a ball going to the upper playfield.
The only way I have been able to do it , is by playing a BR game on visual pinmame, ans saving a state, and then loadiing the same state in pinmame debug.

Regards
12-08-2011, 01:59 PM
(12-07-2011 07:26 PM)Francis Wrote:  Hello Manu
the change I made so far for the BR are the following:

1. I added a memory to the laps, and target. In the original rom, when you hit 2 yellow target they stay for the next ball. Now with the rom I modified, the target and the laps are reset to 1 lap and 0 target lighted for the next ball.
But If you hit the target A -B -C on the upper playfield the memory is kept for the next ball. Those setting, are adjustable.

2. When you do a laps, instead of increasing the score, by 20 000 , It increase by 10 000 X number of laps ex: the lap four score 40 000 , lap five score 50 000 etc.

3. Being king of the hill give 3 millions instead of 1 millions (I have done this because the laps give too much points)

I would have like to change what is displayed in when you do your laps or getting the memory, but its too much complicated, so I give up.

As you said, banzai run is a great pin, but the rules are so so.

for the laps, there is a setting for the finish line. I think this is the one you need to change.

for the points, I think its gonna be pretty easy to find.
I will check my notes tomorrow and give you an answer for that. Can you tell me wich jump you are talking about.
there is a difficulty with the upper playfield of BR because I cannot calibrate the lifter with pinmame debug, there fore the hill is always close when I try to simulate a ball going to the upper playfield.
The only way I have been able to do it , is by playing a BR game on visual pinmame, ans saving a state, and then loadiing the same state in pinmame debug.

Regards

Thanks a lot for your (quick) answer, Francis.

As I'm french, I'll try to write in good english, but sorry for possible mistakes.

I agree with you, this pinball is awesome, but rules are perfectible.

Maybe, 3 millions is too much for a pinball that resets at 10 000 000 points.

When I speak of the jump, it's the upper left hole, the "defeat red hot" one. You can, not so easily, but it's far from impossible, win 50 000 x 2 the first time (by multiplying thanks to the A B C targets), and then 75 000 x 2 the second time, ect, ect... According to me, you win too much points here, and it prevents to play "the king of the hill" that awards less points.

The laps (after testing it), stop at 39. So, after 39 laps, no more bonus, no more laps, only 20 000 points. It's a bit disappointing. The lamps on the playfield can light till 45 laps, and we could imagine that the pinball could continue to register furthers laps.

Thanks for your new subject about the points, even if I'm not sure to understand all. I'll re-read all what you write...

Keep up the good job !

Regards.
12-09-2011, 05:52 AM
Hello Manu
For the 10 000 000 points, I didnt notice that, but is it because of the display, that dont have enought digits??
For the moment, I dont have time to check the code (I'm at the end of the session so I have work to do)
For the recors, I increase the scoring a lots for the laps and the king of the hill, so I guess the jump is not scoring so much big points after all.
As for the laps, I have a real Banzai Run, and I only manage to be able to do the finish line once (20 laps) in all the games I played. So I guess that 39 laps is ok. And I think its gonna be quite complicated to mke it light 45 laps.

And for the record, I'm french too, from Chicoutimi Quebec
:-)
12-09-2011, 06:19 AM
(12-09-2011 05:52 AM)Francis Wrote:  Hello Manu
For the 10 000 000 points, I didn't notice that, but is it because of the display, that don't have enough digits??
For the moment, I don't have time to check the code (I'm at the end of the session so I have work to do)
For the record, I increase the scoring a lots for the laps and the king of the hill, so I guess the jump is not scoring so much big points after all.
As for the laps, I have a real Banzai Run, and I only manage to be able to do the finish line once (20 laps) in all the games I played. So I guess that 39 laps is ok. And I think its gonna be quite complicated to make it light 45 laps.

It might not be that complicated to make it like 45 laps - it depends on how the coding is. Usually when lamps are arranged 1-2-3-4-5,10,20 they code:

20 or greater? Light 20, subtract 20. 10 or greater? Light 10, subtract 10. 5 or greater? light 5, subtract 5, etc.

If it's that way then just increasing the lap limit would "work".

As for turning it over at 10million, might need to have the first /10 7 digit game for this, find all the scoring routines and just divide by 10, including the replay intervals; you'll have a virtual 8 digit game.
12-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Hello Mr Butler,
I know that its possible to do it
But right now I dont have the time to do it.
And The rom that I change , I didnt even have time to test it on pinmame.
And I dont see in the neer future when I willbe able to work on this.
for me 10 000 000 as the max score and 39 laps is ok for now.