Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Demoltion man tournament flaw
03-18-2012, 11:43 AM
Demoltion man tournament flaw
New challenge: Demolition man often gets its main toy (the claw) turned off for tournament usage as it lets you select lock ball/multiball over and over again (avoiding playing through all the modes). It would be nice if the modes (which apparently do get tracked which you've done and which you haven't) forced you to play through all of them - it does this sort of automatically when you disable the claw the right ramp gives you each of the awards in turn. However if you could have some selection possible for strategy that would be ideal; I'm researching now what the mode lamps do, I'm told they blink, when you collect it stays lit continuously. The tournament behavior desired is to give nothing or points if you re-select a mode that you've already collected (at least until they all research, after Demolition Time).

I have no way to test this type of rom except in pinmame as I do not have access to a demolition man machine; I'll see what I can find out based on the behavior someone's reporting to me though.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2012, 01:21 PM
RE: Demoltion man tournament flaw
Spoke with several tournament people and they all agree that really this is solved just by disabling the claw - so no need to pursue this. Demo man is kind of ho-hum IMO anyway.
03-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Aw, ho-hum? DM is one of the 4 pins I own!

If you (or anybody) wants some pointers (literally) in DM feel free to resurrect this thread at any time. I can try to help get you started with address of code at certain points in game play but I suspect it will take a lot of time to figure out the claw logic and to make it work in Tournament mode instead of just disabling the claw.
03-25-2012, 02:01 AM
The general consensus amongst the players polled was that since the already present claw disable was acceptable in its tournament results was that there was no need to go out of the way to produce a tournament rom. However, if one were made the request would have been to not allow repeated claw awards until demolition time had been played and the claw modes reset. I had been gathering information about how the lamps on the claw worked as that would have been one way to track where the status was stored. It could still be created of course but not sure if any of the tournaments would be willing to use it.

Creating roms as an intellectual exercise is certainly satisfying, but I do like to see them ultimately end up in a machine in use.
03-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Presently I'm going through IJ_L7 so if you ever feel like tackling IJ for tournament, I can offer some pointers. Big project though, getting the randomness out of the video modes so they operate the same for all players. (sorry to hijack this thread on this, feel free to start an IJ thread if this is something you ever feel like tackling). Not sure if there's other things that need fixed such as whether Hand of fate is the same for all players.
04-27-2015, 04:17 PM
(03-25-2012 02:01 AM)RalphButler Wrote:  The general consensus amongst the players polled was that since the already present claw disable was acceptable in its tournament results was that there was no need to go out of the way to produce a tournament rom. However, if one were made the request would have been to not allow repeated claw awards until demolition time had been played and the claw modes reset.

Ralph,

I had this same idea, and I think it would add some depth to the game. I like the idea of strategizing when to play each mode on the way to getting Demolition Time. It reminds me a bit of the spider awards in Scared Stiff -- if you hit the same one twice, you don't get anything.

I'm also interested in doing the work to make it happen. I have a background in embedded engineering and although my assembly knowledge is rusty (and most recently Z-80-ish with the 68HC11 long forgotten), I can usually follow what's going on.

My thought that I would create a modification of the LX-4 ROM such that if both the claw and tournament mode are enabled, you cannot choose a claw mode already awarded.

I've read through a lot of mrglee's posts and great PDFs, but I haven't come across a "Getting Started" type of document about the disassembler to use, and how to get started with annotating the disassembly. I've seen reference to the PinMAME debugger, but haven't tracked down documentation on how to use it yet. I also don't know what to do when the disassembler interprets function parameters as additional assembly code and then gets out of sync. Finally, do you re-assemble the ROM from the annotated and possibly modified dump, or do you assemble small code sequences and then modify the ROM with a hex editor?

So how to I begin this adventure? I'm game for doing a lot of annotations as a learning exercise.

-Tom